A TRAVELING MOTHER'S FAVORITE THINGS
A west coast mom whose blog we love talks to us about style, nursing and a kid friendly country we want to go to now!
We love it when moms introduce us to functional and stylish pieces, give us good and practical advice and share their nursing stories. In a short and sweet q&a, Jessica Doll covers all of this. Read our interview then go to her blog and lose yourself in her sundrenched and gorgeous world.
1) Tell us 3 things about yourself/family that most of your readers don't know.
1. I had my first son very young, at age 18!
2. I didn't grow up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I actually grew up in the Central Valley of California, near Modesto.
3. I've been blogging since 1999, for 18 years! It started as a way to learn code, and who knew that nearly 20 years later, I'd circle back to it as a full time job?
2) How do you differentiate yourself from other lifestyle bloggers and stay true to your mission/message?
I think it's easy to lose yourself when you're a lifestyle blogger. I try to stay as true to myself as possible and don't usually look for inspiration on other blogs.
3) You have a minimalist style and often edit your wardrobe. What are the top 3 items in your closet that are travel friendly and that you couldn't live without.
1. Cuyana Leather Zipper Tote in black.
2. Everlane Modern Point Shoes in black, of course.
3. Prada Timeless Sunglasses (do sunglasses count?)
4) Which country is the most mom/child friendly place you've been to?
Ahh, my favorite is easily Denmark. We took the train everywhere and they even had special cars for strollers. We just strolled right on, and off again. We even took it from Copenhagen to Malmö, Sweden to go shopping one day.
5) Please tell us about your breastfeeding experience with your two children.
With my first son, not only was I young, but I didn't have a strong support system for breastfeeding. After weeks of trying to get it right with little to no avail, I gave up and went to the bottle. With my second son I was absolutely determined to nurse him so I read all the books, watched the movies, read articles online, and at one point I even consulted with a lactation specialist. We successfully nursed until he was 2 years old.
6) Did you have any favorite go to pieces/styles while breastfeeding?
I used to love layering a nursing camisole under a drapey sweater. It made it so easy to nurse discreetly in public without having to use one of those bulky nursing covers.
7) Best advice you've gotten on parenting.
Do what comes naturally to you. It's not about what your parents did or what someone else did, it's about your relationship with your little ones and ensuring that they grow up in a loving and caring environment.
Jessica Doll is a professional photographer, avid traveler, & stylish mama living in the San Francisco Bay area. She has a passion for good design whether it's indoors or out, man-made or natural. Her spare time is spent exploring with her two boys and husband in their backyard or in the rest of the world. Visit her blog: http://hejdoll.com and check out her beautiful images on instagram @hejdoll.