KEATON ROW STYLIST CAROLINE MAGLATHLIN ON PERSONAL STYLING, MAKING MORNINGS EASIER & WARDROBE CLASSICS
Caroline Maglathlin, one of Keaton Row's stylists, was kind enough to share her thoughts on personal styling, what every woman should have in her closet, top styles for breastfeeding moms and more!
1) Tell us a bit about yourself & how you got into styling. My career started out in television production for NBC and one of my rotations was in morning news. I helped the host pick out her outfit, and I quickly realized that I had become a confidant with regards to her on-camera wardrobe. I felt like I had found my calling. Subsequently, I went on to work for Ralph Lauren for three years, an amazing platform to officially begin my styling career. After RL, I helped launch a boutique in Nolita—Coop & Spree, where I learned about the buying process, visual merchandising and personal shopping. Since then, I have been full-time with Keaton Row, gaining the experience of styling women in person and digitally. I am passionate about dressing the everyday woman. I love “attainable fashion”.
2) What do you love most about styling women at Keaton Row? Some women just don’t have the time to meet with a stylist in person so Keaton Row's digital platform is great. We have recently brought in our own inventory, which helps our stylists create even more personalized lookbooks for our clients plus we partner with Shopbop & Saks. We are brand experts for our clients. I know which brands run big/small, the best quality, which denim to recommend to a client (the rise, inseam, etc.) Having a second opinion while shopping online gives our clients more confidence that they are purchasing the right pieces. I love hearing when a client feels great in an outfit. It is the best feeling.
3) What 5 essential wardrobe classics should be in every woman's closet
Basic Cardigan. Cardigans are so versatile and you can often wear them every season. I live in mine!
Blazer. I wear blazers like cardigans and lightweight jackets. Blazers are an investment piece, but they are timeless and chic.
Travel Wrap Scarf. I don’t get on a plane without mine. It is like a mini cashmere blanket!
Denim shirt. This is a piece you can really dress up or down these days. I love knotting it at the waistline and styling it back to a printed, high-waisted pant or skirt.
Black skinny jeans. It goes with everything and you can wear this pant year-round.
4) What pieces can be both flattering and functional for a breastfeeding mom who is trying to dress her new post pregnancy body?
Button-up blouses are the most ideal for breastfeeding. I would suggest wearing cotton over silk because you can just throw them into the wash.
A poncho! I am all about this trend, which is chic and bohemian and can spice up any outfit.
Cardigans are great because they give you easy access, are versatile and year round staples.
5) Why should women invest in their wardrobe & seek styling help? Your wardrobe is a reflection of your personality. I always have a more productive day when I feel good about what I am wearing. Because your stylist at Keaton Row sends you digital, shoppable head-to-toe looks customized to fit your lifestyle each season, you never have to wonder how to wear your favorite pieces again.
6) Give us 3 tips to make getting dressed in the morning easier for a busy new mom.
Plan your outfit the night before. It makes the morning more pleasant and efficient.
Don’t overthink. If you have a piece that you love, I recommend buying it in a few colors so you can rotate the style throughout your wardrobe, without feeling like you are wearing the same thing over and over again.
Organize your closet! Keaton Row offers wardrobe edits as one of our services. Stylists go to your home and help you sort through all the pieces you own to identify which ones to keep, which ones to donate to charity, and which ones to throw away. We provide you with tips on how to style the pieces you already own and how to complete your looks. The end result will be a curated closet of outfits you can wear with confidence.
Thanks Caroline! p.s. Teat & Cosset's fall/winter capsule collection will include cardigans, ponchos, button-up shirts, blazers and more. Stay tuned....